Getting the most from your Google Grant Budget
Organising your budget with Google Adwords is a complex task that takes into consideration a lot of different factors, but as we’ve found with previous grant winners, on average they were only spending approximately $330 of their $10,000 per month budget. There are a lot of great reasons for that, we’re here to help you best manage your campaigns so that you get the most from your Google Grant.
What Stops Not For Profits Using All Their Ad Grant?
There are many factors that affect a not for profits ability to spend their grant:
- Ad Grants have a maximum cost per click (CPC) of $2.00 USD, which can make it difficult to compete with paid accounts on popular keywords.
- Ad Grant Ads will always show below (traditionally) paid ads.
- Competition on keywords (especially around fundraising) is very high.
- Ads can only link to one not-for-profit website domain.
- Ads can only be shown on the Google Search network, not partner sites.
- Researching keywords and optimising an Ad Grant account is time consuming and not something that can be neglected (In fact, Google is constantly checking Ad Grant accounts and you risk losing your Ad Grant if you neglect your account).
Managing your Google Ad Grant Account
1. Set Goals
- Decide what you want to accomplish with your ads, it sounds simple but deciding what your goals are and discussing strategies how you can achieve this is the first and most important priority to designing a campaign that’ll succeed.
- Set up conversion tracking to measure your goals.
- Link your Google Analytics account to track your goals and use this information to optimise your account.
2. Organise Your Account
- Structure your account around your website. - Give separate actions separate ad groups (eg. group “donate” keywords and “support” keywords in different ad groups) and give them targeted ads.
- Group awareness/brand keywords in separate campaigns to your action/donation keywords.
- Create an extensive keyword list; Think about who your charity is, what service you provide, how people benefit.
- Use the keyword multiplier; try adding your location, state or country to keywords to extend reach.
- Don’t just rely on the Google Keywords planner. Try tools like Google Trends, Keyword Tool & Google Auto-complete.
- Use different match types.
- Use long-tail keywords for lower CPC.
- Add negative keywords to keep your clicks relevant.
4. Call To Action
- Optimise your Ad Text with a call to action that is relevant to who you are targeting eg. Donate Now, Enrol Now, Save Lives.
- Use Ad extensions to your advantage; highlight your cause, promote upcoming events, send people to your donation page.
- Use call extensions. With mobile searching at an all-time high, make it easy for people to contact you in one click.
Lastly, consider hiring an experienced and dedicated manager for your account. Even if you only have a small budget, Predikkta has a solution for you and we offer Ad Grant Management at a reduced fee.
*Predikkta has sourced several external independent global tools to analyze websites.These tools do not reflect on occasion the internal website analytics, but are recognised global tools and provide accurate comparative results for measurement against competitors.
**The views in this article are those of the author