Google Analytics Has Just Launched a New, Practical Demo
“We learn to do something by doing it. There is no other way.” – John Holt
Last Wednesday, Google launched an exciting, brand new feature that lets you demo a full functioning Google Analytics account.
How Does It Work?
The new Google Analytics demo uses real business data from the Google Merchandise Store, which is an ecommerce site that sells Google branded merchandise. The demo takes this data to show you information typical to a real ecommerce store, including:
- Traffic source data: information about where website visitors are coming from
- Content data: information about viewer behaviour
- Transactional data: information about transactions on the merchandise store
With this information, you can gain experience with Google Analytics and it’s capabilities without having a full-fledged account.
This is a fantastic way to experiment with what there is to offer, become familiar with the various analytics tools and see if there are any features you haven’t implemented yet that could benefit you.
New Training Resources
The new Google Analytics demo offers real-world experience and self-learning tools, such as:
- Seeing which standard reports would be most useful to you
- Getting ideas from the predefined dashboards
- Becoming familiar with AdWords and Search Console integration data
- Learning how to alter reports and change report view
- Comparing audience behaviour and performance to different time periods
- Creating your own assets such as shortcuts and custom alerts
- Getting experience with predefined attribution models and learning how to create your own
Because the demo includes features that businesses usually set up, you can gain valuable knowledge in how Google Analytics works. We recommend using this new feature alongside other training courses, or other self-help tools like books or online resources.
If you’re an education provider, this could offer an exciting new way to create learning materials for your students. Organisations like General Assembly, E-Nor and Loves Data have already started integrating the new demo into their learning materials.
Access the Demo
This practical tool is available to everyone, making it a great addition to all the theoretical resources out there. The Google team has promised that the demo account will be continually maintained over the future to let you interact with all the features on offer. While Google is gradually implementing full features over the rest of the month, you can already get access to a demo account here.
*Predikkta has sourced several external independent global tools to analyze websites.These tools do not reflect on occasion the internal website analytics, but are recognised global tools and provide accurate comparative results for measurement against competitors.
**The views in this article are those of the author